Friday, October 06, 2006

Autumn Moon Festival

It is the day of the Autumn Moon Festival and we are celebrating ~ Chinese-style!! I thought it would be fun to plan our own celebration but once I got looking for info. on this festival I was surprised how much was out there. So - now the problem of scaling it down! We want to make Moon Papers to hang by the front door - with what we are thankful for painted on them. We plan to read The Moon Festival and eat our mooncakes - but cakes filled with red bean paste, winter melon paste, and white lotus paste - hmmmm.... all I have to say is we better like them - I had to order them from California!!! Maybe our Dutch Bakery should take up the calling to make mooncakes. Here's a fun article on mooncakes - wonder if ours will have any watches in them!!!
A little background on the Autumn Moon Festival. We don't plan to go out and worship the moon - but we are going to read some verses in the Bible that tell us how when we look at the moon - there are some things we can remember. Then, we'll burn our moon papers around our fire pit and thank God for what's He's done for us. We've got the Chinese lanterns hanging, candles will be burning, the sticky rice balls ready to go, green tea will be brewing and yes - the crab rangoons as well!! Have to make a run for the chopsticks yet and we'll be ready to go ~ that's more for a good laugh than anything else at our house! Oh yes, and according to Chinese tradition, I have to clean the house from top to bottom - hmmmmm - do we have to follow all the rules?!?!?!?!?!
Where I got most of my ideas.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Sounds like fun! I had never heard of this "holiday" before but heard several things about it just today. Hope you have a great time. I think you definitely need to post a video of the chopstick attempts!

Anonymous said...

I can not wait to read the blog about this. It should be worth several good laughs.No need to save any moon cake stuff for me,I will stick with almound patties.
Hope it goes well and you have fun.
PLLLLLLEEEAAASSSEEEEE keep us updated.You are such a fun family.
Mr. Brian
P.S.
May want to take Jen's advice and take a video, you could win $10.000 on America's Funny Home Videos

Anonymous said...

Wow......I'm impressed! I thought I'd wait until Sophia was about 3 or 4 to do this! I'll be calling you for idea's when I do! Hope you all had fun!

When you are harvesting your crops and forget to bring in a bundle of grain from your field, don't go back to get it. Leave it for the foreigners, orphans and widows. Then the LORD your God will bless you in all you do.
~Deuteronomy 24:19

Search This Blog

Buy from our site - a portion comes back to us...

Tidbits